But I my thirst for sap had to be quenched. So when I got home I took a stroll around the parking lot and found a small oak that I decided to dig up.
After cleaning up the root cuts made by the shovel with some ordinary pruning shears I sealed them with a cut paste from Nelson garden. Last time I worked with cut paste it was a lot more less runny than this particular brand so I hope it does it job.
The oak was then in a large plastic pot with the usual mix of 50% planting soil and 50% kitty litter. The root ball wasn't much to look at so I had to anchor the oak to a big sturdy stick in the pot. Hopefully it will recover soon and start growing lots of new roots.
|As you can see it's quite big compared to the birches I have.|
The smalles birch being planted in a pot the same size as to the left of the oak.